Graduate teaching assistant for the English program Bachelor in Social Sciences- 2 fulltime positions
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel has been a leading player in the Flemish Higher Education landscape for 40 years. The University numbers 12.000 students and together with its hospital - UZ Brussel – employs more than 6.000 people. The Vrije Universiteit Brussel is the largest Dutch speaking employer in the capital.
Teaching and research at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel are founded on the principle of unfettered inquiry to benefit the progress of mankind. This means rejecting dogmatic positions and guaranteeing the freedom to form opinions without interference; in this way the University aims to ensure the dispersal of the principle of unfettered inquiry throughout society.
The University is autonomous and democratically run. This means guaranteeing the exercise of the fundamental freedoms within the University, as well as the right of the University Community to participate in the decision making process and scrutiny of University policy.
The following form part of the University’s mission:
- the development, the communication and the application of a high level of academic education and scientific research, free from all preconceived ideas;
- the translation of these ideals and knowledge into society in the spirit of social engagement;
- the creation of a society in which everyone is capable of engaging in critical thinking.
Subject area: Social Sciences – Political Science
In this position you will function as a teaching assistant for the “Bachelor of Social Sciences” (BScSS), a brand-new interdisciplinary program co-organized by the VUB and Ghent University. With 140 students and 45 different nationalities in its first year, the BScSS is currently one of the fastest growing and most diverse Bachelor-programmes in Europe.
As a teaching assistant of the BScSS you will be responsible for:
- Assisting in academic education and specifically in the political science courses of the BA program. This entails among others teaching, assisting in reading seminars, grading papers, helping students with their final Bachelor paper. The specific courses will be determined each year by the lecturers and assistants of the department of political science.
Conducting scientific research in view of writing a doctoral dissertation in political science in one of the following research domains: political participation & representation, political socialization, democracy and democratic innovations, nations and nationalism, European integration, political parties and elections, gender & ethnicity, international relations, Brussels politics & policy.
Contributing to the day-to-day affairs of the department of political science.
Questions about content? Contact Prof. dr. Bruno Coppieters on +32 (0)2 614 81 17 or Bruno.Coppieters@vub.be
- Holder of a master degree in Political Science.
- Excellent knowledge of English. A CEFR-level of C1 in English is recommended upon the starting date of the teaching duties (or you are willing to acquire the necessary English language proficiency in short notice).
- The knowledge of Dutch is an additional asset.
- The candidate is an enthusiastic teacher and a motivated researcher;
- Participation to international mobility programmes during your previous studies is an additional asset.
- A doctoral scholarship can not be granted to a candidate who has worked for a university for more than 12 months as an assistant (accumulated).
The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university website.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel your days will be spent in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Both our campuses are set within green oases on the outskirts of the centre of the capital of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. This centre, with all its opportunities, is within your reach by public transport in under half an hour.
Depending on your experience and academic merits you will receive a salary on one of the pay scales laid down by the government. Hospitalisation cover and free use of public transport for travel to and from work are standard conditions of employment. If you would rather cycle to work, compensation is also available for that. Both campuses have extensive sporting facilities which are at your disposal and a nursery is within walking distance.
More information is available at www.vub.ac.be under the heading ‘future employees’.
- Planned starting date: 16/09/2017
- Length of contract: 1 year (renewable)
- Deadline for application: 10 August 2017
Applications can only be submitted online (via the website of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
All applications must at least include the following attachments:
- A brief CV
- A comprehensive academic portfolio (there is no specific form, it should include (if appropriate) the educational experience, research experience, publications and general work experience).
- A research project of 1000 words max. (+ a short bibliography) in one of the following research domains: political participation & representation, political socialization, democracy and democratic innovations, nations and nationalism, European integration, political parties and elections, gender & ethnicity, international relations, Brussels politics & policy.
- A concise motivation letter
- Placed on:Wed 28 June 2017
- Location: Brussels